In support of “Nutrition Month” we are throwing a spotlight on asparagus, part of the superfoods. This delicious green vegetable is known for a ton of nutrients. Asparagus is high in Folate, Vitamins C, E, and K, Zinc, Selenium and Manganese. It is excellent as an inflammatory as it is incredibly high in antioxidants, particularly glutathione, which assists in the destruction of cancer-causing carcinogens.
Many people are familiar with the aftermath of consuming asparagus. Yes, asparagus is infamous for the smell it can cause in your urine. Interestingly, this is caused during digestion. Asparagus contains asparagusic acid, which gets broken down during the digestive process into a variety of compounds containing sulphur, resulting in the notorious odor.
Try out the asparagus recipe listed below, and share yours with the hashtag #SBBNutrition for a chance to Win a StrongBoard of your own!
1 bunch of asparagus
2 cloves of garlic
1-2 tbsp coconut oil or melted coconut butter
4 thick lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 425
- Clean asparagus and remove any tough ends from the stalk
- Chop garlic to desired size
- Place asparagus on a large baking sheet, lightly brush with coconut oil
- Sprinkle salt/pepper
- Squeeze lemon slices over asparagus and place on baking sheets
- Bake 15-20 minutes. Remove lemon slices and serve.