The single arm plank to side plank exercise is an intermediate/advanced exercise performed with StrongBoard Balance board. Although, the target is primarily shoulders and obliques, it is also great for overall core strength and shaping your upper extremities. Give this great ab routine a try today!
Featuring Denise O’Connor of MyGarageFit.com, StrongBoard Balance Certified Trainer and Instructor.
1. Start in single arm plank position, feet wide, with your right hand in center, over the platform logo, and your left arm by your side. Be sure to keep your shoulder directly above your posted hand.
2. Keeping your abs braced, rotate your hips to the side as you extend your left arm up to the sky.
3. Pivot back to center as you move your left arm out in front of you.
4. Keeping arm fully extended out in front of you as you step forward with your right leg, followed by your left.
5. Bring both arms down to your side as you stand back up.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 on the left side.
7. Repeat steps 1-6 for desired amount of repetitions.
8. Repeat for desired amount of sets.
Tips: Be sure to brace the abs and obliques at all times. This will help stabilize the lower back while holding plank position and through any rotation. Utilize your back, abs, and shoulders to perform each repetition. Don’t hold your breath, remember to breathe. For more of a challenge, you can slow your movements down by adjusting tempo. Be sure to understand and perform this exercise on the floor first or until you feel confident in your form and technique, and strong enough for this exercise.
StrongBoard Balance utilizes MULTI SPRING TECHNOLOGY™ that works with your body to deliver the perfect amount of stimulation to keep your core musculature and stabilizing muscles engaged and contracted, while training your central nervous system, improving posture, proprioception and reaction time.