Strengthen core and shoulders with this back stabilizing move—Dizzy Bird Dogs on StrongBoard Balance board! This is an advanced exercise and should be performed on a stable surface prior to performing on StrongBoard Balance. This exercise is great for strengthening the entire scapulothoracic region along with the erector spinae and will also strengthen the entire core musculature.
1. Start with board in lateral position. Place your left hand on the front, left corner of the platform and your right knee on the back right side of the platform. Be sure to have a pad (yoga mat) on platform for comfort.
2. With your abs braced and light dumbbell in your right hand, lift your left leg up and out as you simultaneously raise your right arm out in front of you. Keep your arm and leg in alignment with your spine. Do not hyper-extend your lower back.
3. Lower your arm and leg back down to starting position, keeping both limbs extended.
4. When lifting arm and leg up and out, keep hips square and engage glute of extended leg. Also, keep shoulder blades (scapula) in your back pocket. Think of pulling your shoulders down as your arm extends out. (Option: On the down portion, pull knee and elbow into center)
5. Repeat for desired amount of repetitions/sets.
6. Switch sides and repeat steps 1-5.
Tips: Be sure to keep abs braced by pulling belly button into your spine, this will help stabilize the back while in full extension. Keep head in line with spine throughout the exercise. Exhale as you extend limbs up and out. For additional challenge, you can use a heavier dumbbell, slow your tempo, and/or increase your repetitions/sets.