Build stronger shoulders, back and core with the anterior/lateral dumbbell shoulder raise exercise. This is an intermediate exercise and should be performed on a stable surface prior to performing it on StrongBoard Balance board. This exercise is primarily for the shoulders but will also work the entire core musculature, along with the scapulothoracic region.
Featuring Jason Miyashiro – Private Trainer, USC BS, IDPA Master Shooter, and Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor.
1. Start by holding a dumbbell in each hand, as you step onto StrongBoard Balance. Be sure to keep a slight bend in your knees and elbows and your abs braced.
2. With arms resting at your sides, slowly raise your left arm out in front of you with palm facing inward while simultaneously raising your right arm out to the side with palm facing down. Be sure to raise dumbbells to shoulder height.
3. Lower dumbbells back to starting position.
4. Slowly raise your right arm out in front of you with palm facing inward while simultaneously raising your left arm out to the side with palm facing down.
5. Lower dumbbells back to starting position.
6. Repeat for desired amount of repetitions/sets.
Tips: Keep feet straight and against platform handles during exercise. For more of a challenge, slow your tempo and/or add more weight to the shoulder raise. You can also try this exercise in a semi-squat position and with single leg.