Bulgarian squats are an advanced lunge exercise using StrongBoard Balance board. Although, the target muscle is the quadriceps, this exercise is great for the soleus and for lifting the buttocks. The hamstrings, gastrocnemius, gluteus medius and minimus all act as stabilizers. With a Bulgarian Split squat, the back leg should never be elevated more than 6-8 inches. If you elevate it any more than that, you risk hyperextending your spine. Because we are using the bench with StrongBoard Balance Board, which is close to 10 inches in height, this places us in the appropriate zone for this particular exercise. Your flexibility (and core strength), will determine how low you can go. As with any exercise, you should practice this on solid ground before incorporating an unstable platform.
To do this exercise you will need 1 StrongBoard Balance Board and a weight bench or secure platform no more than 8” taller than StrongBoard.
- Begin with your left foot across the center of the StrongBoard Balance logo on the platform, and carefully place your right foot (toes) on the bench behind you.
- Keeping your chest up and weight evenly distributed between both legs, drop your right knee just below bench level.
- Brace your abs at the bottom of the movement and squeeze your glutes as you bring yourself back to starting position.
- Repeat for desired amount of repetitions.
- Switch legs and repeat steps 1. thru 4.
Tips: Keep spine vertical and abs engaged through entire exercise. For more of a challenge you can add dumbbells or other modality. Also, you can slow your tempo and hold static or pump at the bottom of each rep for 1-5 seconds.
StrongBoard Balance utilizes MULTI SPRING TECHNOLOGY™ that works with your body to deliver the perfect amount of stimulation to keep your core musculature and stabilizing muscles engaged and contracted, while training your central nervous system, improving posture, proprioception and reaction time.